Sunday, 28 September 2014

Initial coursework ideas

My initial coursework idea is to investigate the language used by policemen to exert their power compared with how criminals use language towards authority.

I have initial theories that I expect to find in my investigation, for example, instrumental and influential power. I expect to see the policemen using more instrumental power as they will use this power to enforce law. Also, I will be looking for power in discourse and power behind discourse. Lastly I will investigate to see if the police force use personal power in the language they use.

The frameworks I expect to investigate are semantics and pragmatics, within these areas I expect to hear law terminology that the police and high authority figures of the law will understand. Also, I will investigate the grammar the policemen.

My methodology will involve watching police programmes from youtube and other sources and investigate the language they use to exert their power. I will look at the language used by different levels of authority within the police force. Also, whilst watching these programmes/ clips, I will note down the transcript of the language used by the policemen which will help me annotate the language used after.

However, ethical issues within my investigation are not applicable as the television programmes have already been given permission from the policemen and criminals to been shown on television.

No comments:

Post a Comment